Friday, December 3, 2010

Week 3 in the Field

What?: This week I helped Miss Draper teach an art lesson. It was really fun and students really seemed to enjoy it. Each class rotated to art again and they all made their own sarcophagus.

Now what?: Miss Draper and I taught the students what a sarcophagus is and why and how they are different from our modern day coffins. We had a few examples from past years and a few books of ancient Egyptian artifacts to help give them ideas on how they decorated their things and sarcophagi. It was really fun! The students liked I think because they're learning about Ancient Egypt in social studies. It was a great way to integrate art into what they're learning.

So what?: I remember doing this in my sixth grade class and it was always so fun to create something that they used in ancient times. I'm sure my students will get the chance to do an activity very similar to this and I hope I get to teach it to them. It's a fun way for them to use different types of art too. They can use oil pastels or chalk or just color it with colored pencils and markers. It's great because they learn more about important subject matter, but they also get to be creative and do something fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment